Jewellery Care & Materials
Each product in our collections is made by hand ,and therefore very delicate and needs to be looked after carefully. Please follow the below guidelines for handling your VIANNE JEWELLERY pieces so you may be able to preserve their quality and enjoy wearing them for many years to come.
Gold and Rose Gold Jewellery
Gold and rose gold vermeil jewellery
is a jewellery piece that has been made with sterling silver, then coated with 2.5 microns of 18k gold plate. This means it is super thick (5 times thicker than regular gold-plated jewellery and much longer lasting!). Our gold and rose gold products in the gemstone collections are made with the vermeil plate. These vermeil jewellery pieces can last for years. However, if worn continuously (especially rings) the gold vermeil plate can start to wear away after 6 months. In this instance, we will not be able to offer a refund as this is not a fault in the product, but rather the nature of wear and tear.
Gold and rose gold plated jewellery is very similar to vermeil using sterling silver as the base metal but with a thinner layer of gold plate. We use this type of plating for our dainty ring collection. Please note that we use the industry standard of the plating thickness for our gold plated jewellery, plus a layer of e-coating which is a protective layer, the gold plate can last up to a year. However, if worn continuously (especially rings), and also depending on the care and use of the items, the gold plate can start to wear away prior to 6 months. In this instance, we will not be able to offer a refund as this is not a fault in the product, but rather the nature of wear and tear.
For all gold and rose gold jewellery, please follow the below care instructions.
- We recommend storing unworn gold and rose jewellery inside an airtight bag in your jewellery box to minimise tarnishing, which can occur when it comes into contact with natural elements.
- The gold plating is sensitive to cleaning and may only be polished with a soft DRY cloth. DO NOT use a silver polishing cloth. You may lightly use a gold polishing cloth if there is severe tarnishing, but intense or repeated use will ruin the gold surface, so take caution when doing this.
- Put your jewellery on last to avoid any contact with hairsprays, perfumes, makeup or lotions.
- Take your jewellery off first, before your clothing to avoid any snagging or damage. Never sleep, bathe or swim with your jewellery.
- Remove jewellery when washing your hands as well as when applying hand sanitiser. This is especially important for rings, as they suffer wear and tear much more than other jewellery types since we use our hands for everything we do.
- After each wear, wipe the metal surface gently down with a soft cloth and store it inside an airtight bag in your jewellery box, in a location that is away from direct sunlight, moisture, air conditioning and heat.
- Please note that rose gold/ gold plated and vermeil jewellery will eventually lose its colour. However, our items can be easily replated at your local jewellers for a small fee. If you wish for the jewellery to keep its gold and rose gold colours forever, we do offer bespoke solid gold jewellery. Please do contact us for more information.
All of our jewellery in the gemstone collection is made using completely natural semi-precious gemstones which means each and every stone is beautifully unique to you! Each stone is carefully selected and hand cut, however as they are natural, there can be variations in colour and incision within our stones.
To care for your gemstones:
- The jewellery should only be wiped very gently with a damp cloth as they are unable to withstand cleaning agents, polishing cloths and ultrasonic cleaners. Gemstones are porous and as a result of this they are able to absorb anything. It is important to avoid any direct contact with water, chemical liquids, perspiration, lotions, detergents and perfume. These pieces should also be kept DRY at all times during wear and should be stored away in a cool dry place in their suede pouch.
- Gemstones can also scratch, chip or break if dropped, so be careful when taking on and off pieces with gemstones.
Sterling Silver Jewellery
Sterling silver is an alloy (or mixture) of silver consisting of 92.5% silver and 7.5% other metals. Our silver jewellery has been made with solid sterling silver and plated with rhodium (a precious metal that is in platinum family). Rhodium helps to guard the metal surface against scratches and tarnish, making it more durable as well as giving it a lustre and reflective finish.
To care for your silver jewellery:
- Silver is a soft metal, therefore silver jewellery should be stored inside an airtight bag in your jewellery box to minimise tarnishing. It should also be kept in a cool dry place to avoid premature tarnishing.
- Never use any chemicals, abrasives or silver dips on your rhodium-plated jewellery.
- Do not use polishing cloths intended for use on uncoated silver and gold jewellery products.
- Do not place in an ultra-sonic cleaner.